- 185 branches across UK and Ireland now sell halal-only meat
- Halal refers to objects or actions permissible under Islamic law
- Pork is forbidden and while other meat can be eaten, it must be sourced, slaughtered and processed according to strict rules
- Subway said all halal meat served in its branches has come from animals that were stunned before being slaughtered
- Halal-only menu is in response to ‘strong demand’ from Muslim customers
Fast food giant Subway has removed ham and bacon from almost 200 outlets, and switched to halal meat alternatives in an attempt to please its Muslim customers.
It has confirmed turkey ham and turkey rashers will be used instead in 185 of its stores, where all the meat will now be prepared according to halal rules.
The chain, which has around 1,500 outlets across the UK, explained its decision by saying it had to balance animal welfare concerns with ‘the views of religious communities’.
SUBWAY SUBS AFFECTED BY RULES
Chicken and Bacon Ranch Melt
Steak and Cheese
Subway Melt – ham, bacon, turkey breast and cheese
Italian B.M.T. – pepperoni, salami and ham
Spicy Italian – pepperoni and salami
Mega Melt – bacon, sausage, egg and cheese
Bacon, Egg and Cheese
Sausage, Egg and Cheese
All ham and bacon is replaced by turkey ham and turkey rashers and all meat is prepared according to Islamic halal rules.
Related Posts:If everyone who reads our story, who likes it, helps fund it, our future would be much more secure. For as little as $10, you can support the IWB – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. 15,457 views