I recently needed to know what the hell was going on with my Taxes. Nothing online could help and I was navigating through dial tones for a long time.
- Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
– Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about.
– An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
– Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
– Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
– A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
– Any letters or notices we sent you
- The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
- Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
- Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
- Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.
I found this online and hopefully it helps 😉
EDIT: Original Site I found this from: amynorthardcpa.com/how-do-i-reach-a-real-person-at-the-irs/