Yesterday, I outlined how the markets are likely at a very critical point regarding inflation.
By quick way of review:
1) Stocks initially love inflation because it boosts results (companies don’t report inflation-adjusted returns, so any increase in product pricing due to inflation is instead reflected as “growth”).
2) This love relationship eventually turns to hatred as inflation leads to higher operating costs, which squeeze profit margins.
In yesterday’s article, I illustrated how this played out during the last major bout of inflation in the 1970s.
At that time, stocks initially roared higher as inflation initially boosted corporate results. However, by the time 1974 rolled around and inflation (as measured by the consumer price index or CPI) hit 11%, stocks began to crash, eventually losing ~50%.
I mention all of this because it is highly likely that something similar is about to manifest in the markets today.
Stocks have erupted higher on the back of inflation, courtesy of $11 trillion in Fed QE/ fiscal stimulus from the Federal Government between March 2020 and today.
However, inflation is now taking a turn for the worse. And, as usual, the signs are showing up in the currency markets first.
The Fed is in the process of ending its QE program. Fed officials have also signaled that they intend to raise rates three or four times this year. All of this should be highly U.S. dollar positive.
And yet… the $USD is breaking down.
The greenback has taken out key support (green line in the chart below). Even worse, it’s also broken its bull market trendline (blue line in the chart below).
This is a MAJOR signal that the Fed’s actions are not enough. Put another way, the Fed is behind the curve on inflation! This is extremely negative for stocks as it means inflation is getting out of control (just like in 1974).
So, what would a similar, 1970s-style crisis look like today? The market is warning us, though few have noticed.
For those looking to prepare and profit from this mess, our Stock Market Crash Survival Guidecan show you how.
Within its 21 pages we outline which investments will perform best during a market meltdown as well as how to take out “Crash insurance” on your portfolio (these instruments returned TRIPLE digit gains during 2008).
To pick up your copy of this report, FREE, swing by:
- A large fire is spreading from a pallet yard behind the US Foods distribution center in Phoenix, Arizona
- War Is Over But They Won’t Tell You
- Madison Cawthorn Kicked Out of Congress for Blowing the Whistle on GOP Orgies and Calling Out Zelensky
- UK Gas Up 96%…. JPMorgan Sees Gas Prices Hitting $6.20 By August In US
- Agent Fang Fang goes down in China crash
- IT HAS BEGUN. THEY ARE HUNTING THE RICH. FOOD RIOTS ACROSS OUR WORLD HAVE STARTED
- UTTER CARNAGE: The Stock Market Is Coming Apart Like A 20 Dollar Suit As Fear Sweeps Through Wall Street
- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition Now Features an Obese Woman
- A “Smallpox-Like Virus” Has Now Spread To Spain, Portugal And The United States
- Canada: Kindergarteners Given Homework About Jerking Off