by Dr. Eowyn
Six days ago on September 10, 2019, Demonrat senators Cory Booker (New Jersey) and Richard Blumenthal (Connecticut) introduced a new gun-control bill, S. 2449: Federal Firearm Licensing Act, which will:
(1) Require a federal license to acquire or receive firearms, “and for other purposes”: “In general…it shall be unlawful for any individual to purchase or receive a firearm unless the individual has a valid Federal firearm license.”
(2) A Federal firearm license is required for each firearm: “each license issued under this section shall be valid for the purchase of a single firearm”.
(3) Each license is valid for only 5 years.
(4) The federal license in turn means the federal and local governments will keep a registration of all gun owners in the U.S.: “a license issued under the system is available at a designated local office, which shall be located in both urban and rural areas.”
(5) To acquire the Federal firearm license will require:
- Training in firearms safety, including (a) “a written test, to demonstrate knowledge of applicable firearms laws”; and (b) “hands-on testing, including firing testing, to demonstrate safe use and sufficient accuracy of a firearm”.
- Proof of identity of the applicant.
- Fingerprints of the applicant.
- A thorough background check of the applicant.
(6) Red Flag: If it is determined that an individual “poses a significant danger of bodily injury to self or others by possessing, purchasing, or receiving a firearm,” s/he will be denied a gun license or if s/he already owns a gun(s), the license for which will be revoked and the firearm confiscated: “The Attorney General shall establish procedures to ensure that any firearm is removed from any individual when the individual’s license is revoked”.
Click here for the full text of S. 2449.