Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot declared she wouldn’t allow President Trump to “terrorize” the city by deploying federal troops to crack down on violence, even as at least 15 people were wounded in a drive-by shooting outside a funeral home in the Windy City.
“Under no circumstances will I allow Donald Trump’s troops to come to Chicago and terrorize our residents,” Lightfoot posted on Twitter Tuesday evening.
Around the same time, people inside a vehicle opened fire on attendees at a funeral on the city’s South Side, wounding 15 people, the Chicago Tribune reported.
The victims ranged in age from 21 to 65.
The vehicle crashed a few blocks away but the occupants fled, although police said they had nabbed a “person of interest.”
JUST A FEW BUSHELS OF BAD APPLES: Another ‘Mostly Peaceful’ Protest: 49 Chicago Police Officers Injured.
Chicago has devolved into something that resembles the opening scene of the Sylvester Stallone movie Demolition Man where Los Angeles is crime-ridden and on fire.
The lack of care for the law, or law enforcement, is at an all-time high in the real world and on Friday night 49 Chicago police officers where injured in a scrap with protesters, The Daily Mail reported.
The Chicago Police Department released the video of the incident this week as the city’s mayor, Lori Lightfoot, continues to insist that she does not want help from the feds and President Donald Trump.
When the protest got to the statue of Christopher Columbus, which the officers were protecting, the crowd began hurling objects at the police.
Chicago Police Superintendent David O. Brown said that the mob of protesters “deliberately sought to injure officers.”
“This is what our officers faced on Friday night at Grant Park. Criminal agitators pelted fireworks, frozen water bottles and other projectiles at our officers, injuring 49 of them,” he said on Twitter. “This is unacceptable and we cannot stand for this.”
This is what our officers faced on Friday night at Grant Park. Criminal agitators pelted fireworks, frozen water bottles and other projectiles at our officers, injuring 49 of them. This is unacceptable and we cannot stand for this.
— Chicago Police Superintendent David O. Brown (@ChiefDavidBrown) July 20, 2020
CHICAGO – Alyssa Blanchard was so traumatized after being carjacked at gunpoint last week outside her Calumet Heights home that she’s now scared to go outside.
Chicago police say a group of children, ages 10 to 17, carjacked Blanchard and at least 15 other people since late June — wreaking havoc on Blanchard’s generally peaceful South Side neighborhood.
Police said shots were fired by the suspects in two of the carjackings, but no one was hit.
“I’m scared to use my garage. I don’t feel safe in my neighborhood,” said Blanchard, an elementary school teacher at Chicago Public Schools.