- Rising number of ‘pandemic babies’ with no immunity admitted to intensive care
- Children presenting with ‘co-infections’ with Covid and other respiratory illness
- RSV – respiratory syncytial virus – kills 120,000 young children each year globally
- NSW cases have exploded from 355 a week just three weeks ago to 3775 a week
- There is no vaccine for RSV but it has almost identical symptoms to flu and Covid
A concerning number of ‘pandemic babies’ with no immunity to respiratory viruses are ending up seriously ill in ICU.
Doctors have revealed children born during the Covid-19 pandemic are requiring intensive care ‘from encountering viruses they haven’t come across before’, such as influenza, RSV and Covid.
The children had been born and raised when there were virtually no other viruses circulating in Australia, other than Covid-19.