Why is Putin doing this? Is it, as critics such as Bill Browder have suggested, because he is “deeply afraid of something”? I doubt it. It should be clear to all observers that Putin intends to remain in power for as long as possible — perhaps even for the remainder of his life — and that he is willing to do so by any means necessary. But wouldn’t it make more sense for him simply to eliminate the provision of the Russian constitution that prevents him from serving for more than eight years at a time?
I think that the answer is obvious. By assuming the humble role of prime minister and ostensibly unfettering his country’s legislature, Putin is biting his thumb at critics both at home and abroad who accuse him of being an unelected despot in all but name. How can anyone possibly complain in 2024 when his current term as president is set to expire, that Russia is undemocratic when it will have enjoyed nearly half a decade of newly invigorated democratic institutions? Perhaps, he and his supporters will say, the presidency at times has overstepped the boundaries of its authority, but that is all in the past. Garry Kasparov and Pussy Riot can have nothing to complain about.
Does this mean that Putin will spend the rest of his life as prime minister? Not necessarily. It is possible to imagine that this is only the beginning of a constitutional revolution that will culminate in something like the present state of affairs in Kazakhstan, where Nursultan Nazarbayev spent two decades as president before being named “Leader of the People,” a de facto honorary title that has nevertheless allowed him to maintain his grip on the political fortunes of the former Soviet Republic (and to serve as chairman of the all-powerful security council). I for one would not be surprised to see Putin in 10 years grandly announcing his retirement from public life amid protests from a grieving legislature, who insist on declaring him “First Hero-Son of the Federation,” an honor he accepts with the utmost reluctance.
- Here is a detailed list of privacy oriented Search Engines I’ve found that won’t leave information conveniently under the rug
- You Will Be Shocked By How Much Money Is Being Pulled Out Of U.S. Banks, And Now The Biggest Bank In Germany Is In Trouble
- Weird war in Ukraine …
- This is how awesome Real Estate investments are in hyperinflation – Weimar example
- Walls are Closing In for Alvin Bragg. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene calls for his arrest
- Mexico ready for war against America, as 500,000 march in support of Mexican sovereignty/military intervention
- Germany on STRIKE – Largest strike in decades – No public transport, railroads, airports….everything!
- This Guy Absolutely Nails It…
- We’re Heading Into A Recession And The Machines Are Betting On A Big Market Crash
- Rothschilds took their bank private by paying out all shareholders a 28% bonus to get it done as fast as possible a few weeks before the crisis