- Anthony Mayo, of Pennsylvania, became ill last week after two years of vaping
- Doctors found his lungs had become severely congested with solidified vape oil
- The medics said he had ‘the lungs of a 60-year-old, two-pack-a-day, smoker’
- Anthony is now recovering in hospital while medics work to clear his lungs
Shocking scans show how smoking e-cigarettes left a 19-year-old’s lungs filled with solidified vape oil and rendered him unable to breathe on his own.
Anthony Mayo, 19, of Erie, Pennsylvania, became seriously ill last week. He struggled to breathe, looked pale and felt sick, his parents say.
Doctors found his lungs were severely congested with the solidified vape oil, which they compared to hardened grease from cooking bacon.
It had caused Anthony, who has vaped for around two years, to have ‘the lungs of a 60-year-old, two-pack-a-day, smoker’.
Vaping works by heating liquid in a tank and turning it into steam to be inhaled – but some oil droplets may be left over as the liquid cools back down in the airways.
He remains in hospital after his oxygen levels plummeted to dangerously low levels and medics fear he may never make a full recovery.
Anthony’s father is speaking about his son’s condition amid a spate of vaping-related deaths in the US over the past few weeks.
Health officials today confirmed an eighth person – a man in his forties from Missouri – had died from a vaping-related illness.