Strongmen presidents — from Putin to Xi — are silent over the Biden-Harris election victory, as other world leaders rushed to congratulate them
- The world’s strongman presidents are yet to acknowledge President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris’s election victory, while other world leaders have sent their regards.
- Leaders including Angela Merkel, Boris Johnson, Emmanuel Macron, Jacinda Ardern, and Justin Trudeau sent their congratulations over the weekend.
- However, as of Monday morning, felicitations from China’s Xi Jinping, Russia’s Vladimir Putin, and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un were notably missing.
- A Kremlin spokesman said Russia had no congratulations for Biden, and would wait for the official result, Reuters said.
- Under a Biden-Harris administration states like North Korea and Russia would likely see renewed criticism, and an end to special treatment dispensed by President Donald Trump.
- Trump has still refused to acknowledge his election loss, and has continued to push unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud.