Those banks have required that their loans be repaid in US Dollars, not the Turkish lira. Since their lira is falling apart, they cannot purchase those US dollars and will default on all those loans. This has the potential to bring down the entire European economy!
The lira traded down 20 percent against the U.S. dollar at 6.797 after Trump made the comment in a tweet.
Follow Bloomberg’s liveblog of Turkey’s response to the diplomatic (and economic) crisis, as lira plunges to a record low. Erdogan will speak followed by a news briefing from his son-in-law Finance Minister Berat Albayrak.
I have just authorized a doubling of Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum with respect to Turkey as their currency, the Turkish Lira, slides rapidly downward against our very strong Dollar! Aluminum will now be 20% and Steel 50%. Our relations with Turkey are not good at this time!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 10, 2018
Lira collapses as Erdogan tells Turks: They have ‘their dollars,’ we have ‘our god’
h/t Nobody You Know
- This is the future they have planned for us…
- Are They Essentially Erasing Most Of The Internet?
- Heads Up: Something big is going down. Just about every commodity is collapsing in price. Things deteriorated so much that all the supply chain metrics have become way less constrained
- Bill Gates: Social Credit Scores Are An “Asset”
- Horrific news from Sodom Island
- China’s Warning ENTIRE Economy Will Collapse In 34 Days
- The Dead Internet theory just got even creepier….
- People Are Going To Go Absolutely Insane When Food Prices Double Or Triple From Current Levels
- CDC is quietly deleting misleading information from their website. The following statement was removed from their website between July 16th and July 22nd
- If you are waiting for recession, inflation down, FED pivot, etc., by the time it happens, markets would have already priced most or all of it in. Right on schedule… Michael Burry says the Big Crash is anytime now!