For everyone else being blindsided by the Coronavirus news, I’ve been trying to research how outbreaks have affected previous stock-markets. I have somewhere between 20-25% in “emerging” and foreign markets and I’m down a bit from last week. Here are some articles I have found.
“What happened to stock markets during previous pandemics?” 2006 study. Results varied but showed in these countries could easily fall 5-20% but overall sustained their losses and in the coming year rose once again.
“H7N9 not only endanger human health but also hit stock marketing” Focuses on the markets around food and avian flu specifically, but noted that the Chinese government’s reaction to the possible outbreaks involved rippling through food and consumer markets.
“THE GLOBAL ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL IMPACT OF AN AVIAN FLU PANDEMIC AND THE ROLE OF THE IMF” From the IMF in the midst of the 2006 Avian flu outbreak, but involves some data sets from previous outbreaks. Two notable quotes.
Financial systems may confront an abrupt increase in risk aversion, with a corresponding surge in demand for liquidity. At the same time, large changes in asset prices and widening of credit spreads—for both corporations and emerging markets— could put banks’ balance sheets under stress and challenge institutions’ ability to maintain prudential ratios within regulatory norms.
Pandemics may come in waves, spreading over weeks or months. Some waves may appear mild only to be followed by another, more severe outbreak. Financial institutions, therefore, must have BCPs that do not focus only on a single, short-lived event.
- Why Are Large Groups Of Animals, Insects And Birds Suddenly Walking In Circles All Over The Globe?
- Kim Dotcom: We are heading either into nuclear war or a global depression while having fun on Twitter. We are the musicians on the Titanic
- Edward Snowden: “The most important video of the year was filmed in 1983.”
- China may have ‘passed the point of no return’ as Covid infections soar. Government has changed all protestors Covid QR codes to RED. Effectively locking them down.
- Confirmed: Hundreds of Israeli Spies Working for Big Tech in America
- The Most Disgusting Country In All Of Europe
- Elon Musk Offers Full Amnesty After Joneslash
- “Died Suddenly” is an Amazing Documentary on the Coronavirus Vax
- The Elites Are Showing You the Middle Finger Again
- US tightening to date continues to ripple through money and credit in an orderly sequence. Bank lending – the next shoe to drop. Michael Burry is now positioned for a crash. Expect a collapse of “everything” within the next four months?