On paper, a minimum wage increase may sound like a relief for workers, but it could actually mean smaller paychecks and cuts in benefits such as healthcare and retirement plans.
Income and benefit cuts hurt women, people of color, and young people, who are most likely to be working minimum wage and retail jobs — the exact people liberals claim to be caring for when pushing minimum wage hikes nationwide.
A new study by professors from the Georgia Institute of Technology, Cornell University, and the University of Washington found that when a retail chain in California raised its minimum wage, it hired more people but gave fewer hours per person. In essence, people who already had jobs saw their hours cut, making them less likely to be eligible for benefits, and experienced reduced “consistency of weekly and daily schedules.”
The researchers reported that as the minimum wage increased by $1, “the number of workers scheduled to work per week increases by 27.7%, and the hours assigned to each worker decrease by 20.8%.” The researchers reported that, in California, the number of average hours per worker per week fell from 24 to 19 hours. As a result, the average Californian minimum-wage worker saw a wage compensation drop of 13.6% in spite of the wage increase.
- Exactly One Week After Biden’s Fateful Decision, The U.S. Was Hit By One Of The Worst Natural Disasters In Our History
- The Fifth Largest Economy in the World Just Lost Control of Its Currency
- Something Big Coming? NATO Countries are Releasing Urgent Calls for Their Citizens to Leave Russia
- 5 Major Events That Have Happened Within The Last 100 Hours
- 14 Things We Know About The Mysterious “Explosions” That Severely Damaged The Nord Stream 1 And Nord Stream 2 Pipelines
- Gas pipeline to Crimea in the Kherson region has been destroyed and is burning
- Michael Burry: You Won’t Believe What is About to Cause a MASSIVE Deflationary Bust
- The Anti-American Tone on German and Austrian Social Media has Escalated Dramatically
- Florida weather man, Dylan Federico of WINK TV, films kitten in 6 inches of water… LETS IT DIE
- This Cycle Of Retaliation Between The U.S. And Russia Will Ultimately Lead To Nuclear War