How do you sell more new vehicles when they last longer every year? You don’t! Over two decades of stagnation in vehicle sales interrupted by plunges.
By Wolf Richter for WOLF STREET.
The average age of all cars and light trucks on the road in 2021 in the US, regardless of how many times they have been traded, jumped by about two months from last year, to a record of 12.1 years, according to IHS Markit today.
“Average age” means that a portion of the vehicles are removed from the national fleet at a much younger age, either because they were scrapped following an accident or natural disaster; or because they were exported as used vehicles. It also means that a portion of the vehicles on the road are far older, with a good bunch in their high teens or older that, with proper TLC, are still running fine.
- PayPal goes full 1984 in November…
- Banks are over leveraged 2 QUADRILLION dollars in derivatives. This will be the worst financial collapse EVER.
- Musk tweets wrong think poll. Twitter explodes – Zelensky Responds
- Over the last week, the mainstream news media claimed that hurricanes are becoming more frequent & intense, but they’re not, as the data clearly show.
- Warning: the Fed Didn’t Pivot Yesterday… If Anything It Doesn’t Need to Anymore
- Multiple sources: Weird yellow light seen above Belgorod, Russia. What is it?
- Gov Just Seized Our Water – Notified Us Can’t Grow A Garden Next Year / Off Grid Living In A Tiny House
- Alanis Morissette to boyfriend: “You’re essentially my employee and I like you having to depend on me”
- A Timeline Of 12 Historic Events That Have All Happened Within The Past 12 Days
- Now he just convinced me that Russia didn’t do it