A low pressure system that developed over Tennessee and moved south into Alabama and Georgia is likely to strengthen into a tropical depression or storm during the next five days, the National Hurricane Center said Monday.
The trough had moved south into central Georgia by Monday morning and is forecast to move further south toward the northeastern Gulf of Mexico, the hurricane center in a tropical weather outlook.
“A tropical depression is likely to form by the end of the week while the low meanders near the northern Gulf Coast,” the outlook said.
The weather system is being given a 80% chance of development over the next five days — that’s a 20% jump from Sunday’s advisory.
It’s unknown if formation would reach tropical storm strength, but if so it would be named Barry.
There is a high probability (80%) that a tropical depression is likely to form by the end of the week over the northern Gulf of Mexico. This system also has the potential to produce heavy rainfall along portions of the northern and eastern U.S. Gulf Coast later this week. pic.twitter.com/fm8BnAh26O
— National Hurricane Center (@NHC_Atlantic) July 8, 2019