BEIJING (AP) — China will now allow couples to legally have a third child as it seeks to hold off a demographic crisis that could threaten its hopes of increased prosperity and global influence.
The ceremonial legislature on Friday amended the Population and Family Planning Law as part of a decades-long effort by the ruling Communist Party to dictate the size of families in keeping with political directives. It comes just six years after the last change.
From the 1980s, China strictly limited most couples to one child, a policy enforced with threats of fines or loss of jobs, leading to abuses including forced abortions. A preference for sons led parents to kill baby girls, leading to a massive imbalance in the sex ratio.
The rules were eased for the first time in 2015 to allow two children as officials acknowledged the looming consequences of the plummeting birthrate. The overwhelming fear is that China will grow old before it becomes wealthy.
- Never in history have we had all three issues happening at once…
- Janet Yellen Just Poured Lighter Fluid On Every Small Bank In America
- Here is a detailed list of privacy oriented Search Engines I’ve found that won’t leave information conveniently under the rug
- 2023: A Year When Everything Is Suddenly Breaking Loose All At Once
- Just wow! Elon is losing it bigly.
- Scott Adams: “It’s Going TOO FAR; I’m DANGEROUS Now; I’m Going to HATE You; White Men Are F…ING DONE” (GRAPHIC)
- 186 More Banks “Are At Risk Of Failure”, And That Could Push Us Into The Next Great Depression
- The Great Financial Collapse of 2023. Comparison of Bear Stearns’ collapse in March 2008 and Credit Suisse in March 2023.
- WTF is up with Boot Club & Blackeyes?
- Ellen Brown: The Looming Quadrillion Dollar Derivatives Tsunami