The New York Times reports U.S. and China Expand Trade War as Beijing Vows to Match Trump’s Tariffs.
The Trump administration said on Friday that it would move ahead with tariffs on $50 billion of Chinese products, drawing retaliation from Beijing and escalating a trade war between the world’s two largest economies. China plans to hit back with additional tariffs of 25 percent on about $50 billion worth of United States products, the country’s Commerce Ministry said in a release Friday. These will also come in two rounds, with penalties on about $34 billion worth, including agricultural products, automobiles, and seafood, scheduled to take effect on July 6. The schedule for tariffs on another $16 billion worth of goods, including medical equipment, chemical products and energy products, will be announced later, the ministry said.
China’s Tariff List
A big tip of the hat to Mark B. Spiegel, “Investor, Managing Member of Stanphyl Capital, and Wiseguy” for this Tweet:
I ran it through Google translate, and lo and behold… pic.twitter.com/PTxVn4RKO8
— Mark B. Spiegel (@markbspiegel) June 15, 2018
I downloaded the doc, translated it, and uploaded the translated doc to Google Docs. You can pick up the translated doc at Chinese Tariff List.
Significant Agricultural Items
- Beef: whole or half cows, as well as fresh, boneless, frozen, many more categories.
- Chicken: Whole, with or without bones, wings, even nuggets, many more categories.
- Turkey: Whole, frozen, pieces, chopped pieces, etc.
- Duck and Goose: Whole, frozen, liver, etc.
- Pig: Pork, pork liver, fat, pieces, etc.
- Fish: Over 200 categories
- Dairy: Milk, cream, cheese, yogurt, whey, etc.
- Other Farm: Soybeans, wheat, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, beans, lentil, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, pears, cherries, strawberries, blackberries, cranberries, and many more fruits and vegetables,
Autos, Trucks, and Auto Parts
- 518 87032342 Off-road vehicles with only ignition engines, 1.5L<displacement ≤2L
- 519 87032343 Passenger cars with ignition engines only, 1.5L <displacement ≤ 2L
- 520 87032352 Off-road vehicles with only ignition engine, 2L<displacement ≤2.5L
- 521 87032353 Small Passenger Cars with Ignition Engine Only, 2L<Displacement ≤2.5L
- 522 87032362 Off-road vehicles with only ignition engine, 2.5L<displacement ≤3L
- 523 87032363 Small Passenger Cars with Ignition Engine Only, 2.5L<Displacement ≤3L
- 524 87032412 Off-road vehicles with only ignition engines, 3L<displacement ≤4L
- 525 87032413 Passenger cars with ignition engine only, 3L<displacement ≤4L
- 526 87032422 Off-road vehicles with ignition engine only, displacement >4L
- 527 87033312 Off-road vehicles with only diesel or semi-diesel engines, 2.5L <displacement ≤ 3L
- 528 87034032 Hybrid electric off-road vehicle fitted with a spark-ignition engine (unplugged), 1.5L <Exhaust volume ≤ 2L
- 529 87034033 Hybrid Electric Passenger Car with Lit Engine (Unplugged), 1.5L <Exhaust volume ≤ 2L
- 530 87034042 Hybrid electric off-road vehicle fitted with a spark-ignition engine (unplugged), 2L< Discharge ≤2.5L
- 531 87034043 Hybrid electric passenger car fitted with a spark-ignition engine (unplugged), 2L<Discharge ≤2.5L
- 532 87034052 Hybrid Electric SUV (without plug-in) fitted with a spark-ignition engine, 2.5L <Exhaust volume ≤ 3L
- 533 87034053 Hybrid electric passenger car fitted with a spark-ignition engine (unplugged), 2.5L <Exhaust volume ≤ 3L
- 534 87034062 Hybrid electric off-road vehicle fitted with a spark-ignition engine (unplugged), 3L<Discharge ≤4L
- 535 87034063 Hybrid electric passenger car fitted with a spark-ignition engine (unplugged), 3L<Discharge ≤4L
- 536 87034072 Hybrid electric off-road vehicle fitted with a spark-ignition engine (unplugged), exhaust Amount>4L
- 537 87034090 Other hybrid electric vehicles with ignition engine (unplugged)
- 538 87035052 Hybrid Electric SUV (Unplugged) with Compression Ignition Engine, 2.5L <Exhaust volume ≤ 3L
- 539 87035090 Other hybrid electric vehicles fitted with compression ignition engines (unplugged)
- 540 87036000 Hybrid Electric Vehicles with Lit Engines (pluggable)
- 541 87037000 Hybrid Electric Vehicle with Compression Ignition Engine (pluggable)
- 542 87038000 Electric vehicles
- 543 87039000 Other manned vehicles
- 544 87043100 Trucks with a spark-ignition engine, vehicle weight ≤ 5 tons
- 545 87084099 Gearboxes and their parts, not elsewhere specified for motor vehicles
China Targets Rustbelt and Agriculture
I am not sure if all of those items are newly listed, but the targets are clear.
China targeted manufacturers in the rust belt states, US agriculture in general, trucks, autos, hybrids, all electric vehicles, offroad vehicles, and for good measure “other manned vehicles”.
OK Mr. president. Are you sure you are winning? What’s next?
Related Posts:We truly are under attack. We need user support now more than ever! For as little as $10, you can support the IWB directly – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. 1,587 views