Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill are quickly shutting down calls to defund police departments as the party grapples with how to respond to demands for reforms in the wake of George Floyd’s death.
The idea is splintering black activists and some prominent progressive lawmakers from Biden and top congressional Democrats while providing fodder for national Republicans, who are quickly mobilizing to use it as the latest example of Democrats moving to the left in the lead up to November.
A spokesman for Biden’s campaign said Monday that the former vice president “hears and shares the deep grief and frustration” of those calling for reform, but that he “does not believe that police should be defunded.”
Later, Biden made his position clear in an interview with CBS.
“No, I don’t support defunding the police. I support conditioning federal aid to police based on whether or not they meet certain basic standards of decency and honorableness,” he said.
Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill were adopting a similar position.
Nope, too late. Toothpaste is out of the tube and it’s their mess to own.
I just heard that BLM is organizing several marches against Joe Biden, due to his failure to support defunding of law enforcement. I support this.
— Laura L. Wilson (@ellewilson) June 8, 2020
- Bill Gates Developing Vaccine That Spreads ‘Like a Virus’ To Vaccinate People Without Consent
- The World Is Collapsing Around Us And The Crowd Is No Longer Hedged
- Social Security payments: Millions of SSI recipients to get two checks worth up to $1,652 next month
- Democrats just screwed the whole country…
- Pennsylvania’s Unemployment Is Insolvent & Now Sending Notices To Claimants Who’ve Received Full Benefits To PAY IT ALL BACK.
- Now They Are Literally Bowing Down And Worshipping Baal Right In Front Of Our Eyes
- Insurance CEO, Todd Callender says the real pandemic is NOW.
- One Of The Most Tragic Things That I Have Read In A Long Time
- AOC..after only a few years on the squad..Net Worth 29 MILLION
- Recession is here and major liquidity squeeze on-going. US Treasuries expect a Fed pivot and either deep US recession or shortage of collateral. Neither look great for stock markets