ALBANY, N.Y. (WKBW) — In a press briefing on Tuesday afternoon, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced he had declared a disaster emergency on gun violence with an executive order.
The order, which Cuomo says is the first of its kind in the nation, aims to treat gun violence like a public health issue.
Following the model the state used to combat COVID-19’s spread, Cuomo says the state will work to combat the surge in gun violence in seven areas:
- Treat gun violence like a public health emergency
- Target hotspots with data and science
- Positive engagement for at-risk youth
- Break the cycle of escalating violence
- Get illegal guns off the streets
- Keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people
- Rebuild the police-community relationship