by Dr. Eowyn
On January 8, 2020, after British taxpayers had spent $41.9 million (£32 million) on their wedding less than two years ago in May 2018, and another $3 million on refurbishing their residence Frogmore Cottage (including a copper bath tub and a yoga floor), eco-hypocrites Prince Harry, 35, and his D-list Hollywood-actress wife Meghan Markle, 38, sparked a crisis in the British monarchy by announcing (on Instagram!) they want to reduce their royal duties (whatever that means) and spend more time in North America, while becoming “financially independent”.
The Toxic Duo made the announcement without consulting with or even notifying Harry’s 93-year-old grandmother, the Queen.
By “financially independent” is meant their intention to milk their royal titles for commercial purpose. Already, they’ve registered the domain name SussexRoyal.com and filed for a trademark for “Sussex Royal” on a dizzying range of items including clothing and newspapers. At the same time, while “reducing their royal duties,” the Toxic Duo have every intention of keeping all the royal perquisites they’ve enjoyed, including their royal titles (HRH, Duke and Duchess of Sussex) and £multimillions in security protection and grants from Prince Charles’ Duchy of Cornwall.
In their grandiose and ill-advised showdown with the British monarchy, the Markles have lost.
Today, Buckingham Palace, i.e., the Queen, issued a stunning announcement that effective Spring 2020 (Daily Mail) :
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are to completely give up royal life, stop carrying out royal duties, and they can no longer formally represent the Queen.
- Since they no longer represent the Queen, they will not be entitled to the protection detail they currently have.
- Since they will no longer carry out royal duties, they will no longer be funded by the taxpayer. (But the assumption is that Harry will continue to be supported by his father, Prince Charles, to the tune of around £2.3million a year. That money is from Prince Charles’ £21 million a year income generated from the Duchy of Cornwall.)
- They will no longer use their HRH (His/Her Royal Highness) titles.
- Henceforth, they will be known as “Harry, Duke of Sussex” and “Meghan, Duchess of Sussex” — titles that can only be removed by an Act of Parliament (which can still happen).
- They will repay £2.4 million of taxpayers’ money spent to renovate their Frogmore Cottage home, in which it is rumored the couple never actually lived.
- They have pledged to “uphold the Queen’s values,” which most commentators interpret as a constraint on the Toxic Duo’s grand plans to merchandise their royal titles and connections.
- Prince Harry who had served a decade in the British Army will be stripped of his “official military appointments,” which means he will no longer be Captain General of the Royal Marines, Honorary Air Force Commandant of the Royal Air Force Base Honington, and Honorary Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Naval Commands’ Small Ships and Diving.
- Buckingham Palace will review the “new arrangements” in a year, which means there may be more punitive constraints if the Toxic Duo misbehave by, as they have threatened, to “tell all” in American TV interviews.
Piers Morgan tweeted this:
Only surprised it took her so long to get Harry to ditch his family, the Monarchy, the military and his country. What a piece of work. pic.twitter.com/734AtrYsC9
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) January 18, 2020