Iran’s attacks on ships in Hormuz mount, testing US military restraint

Share this story

DUBAI—Iranian attacks on shipping in the Strait of Hormuz are piling up without an American military response, raising the risks of crossing the strategic waterway and frustrating some Arab allies who worry the U.S. doesn’t have a strategy to wind down the conflict.

Iran fired two ballistic missiles toward the strait on Tuesday, triggering air defenses in the United Arab Emirates, according to that country’s Ministry of Defense, which said the missiles were targeting maritime traffic but ultimately fell into the sea.

Earlier Tuesday, an Iranian attack hit the engine room of a bulk carrier in the strait east of Oman, leaving the chief engineer dead, maritime security firms said.

The U.A.E. says Iran has attacked seven of its ships this month. So far, August accounts for 20% of all attacks on shipping in the war, which is now approaching its six-month mark.

U.S. Central Command, which oversees American forces in the Middle East, hasn’t announced any retaliatory strikes on targets in Iran since late July. The U.S. has continued to prevent ships from visiting Iranian ports, however, including firing Hellfire missiles to stop vessels trying to breach its blockade.

The restraint reflects President Trump’s current strategy to back off military action in favor of tightening the economic pressure on Tehran.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/iran-s-attacks-on-ships-in-hormuz-mount-testing-us-military-restraint/ar-AA2apfuI?ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&cvid=fa52321d1fdd48239701df6770f23bb2&ei=6

0 views