For many Americans still waiting to receive their tax refund, it appears the wait could be far from over.
The National Taxpayer Advocate’s federally authorized report to Congress found that the IRS held an unprecedented number of tax returns for manual processing this year, leading to major delays and millions of Americans waiting months for their refunds.
“The 2021 filing season was the quintessential definition of a perfect storm,” the report says. “No one could have predicted a global pandemic or the lasting and lingering impact to taxpayers, IRS employees, and tax administration during the last 15 months. To state the obvious, this filing season has been challenging for tens of millions of taxpayers and anything but normal for the IRS and its employees.”
At the end of the 2021 filing season, the IRS had 35.3 million unprocessed returns, four times more than just two years ago.
“Processing delays matter greatly because most taxpayers overpay their tax during the year via wage withholding or quarterly payments and are entitled to receive refunds (this filing season, 70 percent of individual income tax returns had associated refunds, with an average refund of $2,827),” the reports says. “Until the IRS can manually work through the over 35 million unprocessed tax returns, it will not be able to issue refunds to impacted taxpayers.”
The IRS pointed to COVID delays as a key cause of the backlog.
- Exactly One Week After Biden’s Fateful Decision, The U.S. Was Hit By One Of The Worst Natural Disasters In Our History
- The Fifth Largest Economy in the World Just Lost Control of Its Currency
- Something Big Coming? NATO Countries are Releasing Urgent Calls for Their Citizens to Leave Russia
- 5 Major Events That Have Happened Within The Last 100 Hours
- 14 Things We Know About The Mysterious “Explosions” That Severely Damaged The Nord Stream 1 And Nord Stream 2 Pipelines
- Gas pipeline to Crimea in the Kherson region has been destroyed and is burning
- Michael Burry: You Won’t Believe What is About to Cause a MASSIVE Deflationary Bust
- The Anti-American Tone on German and Austrian Social Media has Escalated Dramatically
- Florida weather man, Dylan Federico of WINK TV, films kitten in 6 inches of water… LETS IT DIE
- This Cycle Of Retaliation Between The U.S. And Russia Will Ultimately Lead To Nuclear War