(CBS NEWS) — MGM Resorts International is suing more than 1,000 victims and other survivors of last year’s mass shooting in Las Vegas, claiming it has no liability for the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
The lawsuits outraged the victims and their lawyers.
“It’s a sign of desperation from MGM,” Muhammad Aziz, a Houston attorney who said he represents about 1,400 survivors, told CBS News.
He called the lawsuits “unprecedented” and said his clients were “surprised, shocked, angered” by them.
MGM filed federal complaints in Nevada and California on Friday arguing to dismiss any claims that it is responsible for deaths, injuries or damages from the October 1 massacre committed by Stephen Paddock.
“Plaintiffs have no liability of any kind to Defendants, or any of them, arising from the Paddock’s mass attack,” the complaints say.