A person who “passed through Nassau” County is being tested for the coronavirus, which has killed 26 people and sickened hundreds in China, Nassau’s health commissioner said Friday.
Commissioner Dr. Lawrence Eisenstein said he did not have details about the individual, including whether the person is in Nassau or lives in the county.
He referred questions to the New York State Department of Health, which sent a morning statement from the office of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo that said the health department “currently has four persons under investigation for novel coronavirus that are under isolation as their cases are being tested at the CDC.”
More from the article. Do we believe them??? New York urging people who are feeling symptoms to call first DO NOT GO TO HOSPITAL!
We understand people are concerned, but we are urging everyone to stay calm, as the risk to Nassau County is low at this time,” she said.
Eisenstein agreed. “Nassau County communities are safe and free from coronavirus as of now,” he said.
Cuomo said in a statement that New York is taking steps to respond, should the outbreak of coronavirus spread to the state.
“I want to assure New Yorkers that we are prepared,” Cuomo said. “We are undertaking a wide-reaching and rigorous effort with all stakeholders, including health care providers, airports and federal health officials, to put in place the appropriate precautions to keep New Yorkers safe.”
He added that people who feel symptoms “very similar to a common cold” and who are concerned they may have been exposed to this virus, especially if they traveled to the affected zone in China, should follow recommendations to call their health care providers before arriving for treatment.
I found the Press Release from the New York State Department of Health. Relevant part: (3) Possible Infected!
The State Department of Health currently has four persons under investigation for novel coronavirus that are under isolation as their cases are being tested at the CDC. So far, one of these cases has been proven negative and three are still pending. While the risk for New York is currently low, the Governor is calling for increased vigilance to ensure New Yorkers are protected.