Just days before boosted unemployment benefits for millions of American workers who have lost jobs due to the coronavirus pandemic are set to expire, Senate Republicans have unveiled a new stimulus package that would prevent those payments from vanishing entirely.
The proposal outlined on Monday afternoon by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R–Ky.) would give unemployed workers an additional $200 per week on top of whatever benefits they receive through state-level unemployment insurance programs. That’s one-third of the current $600 unemployment benefits boost that the federal government has been paying since the passage of the Coronavirus Aid, Recovery, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) in late March.
“The American people need more help,” McConnell said on the Senate floor as he announced the Health, Economic Assistance, Liability Protection and Schools (HEALS) Act.
The continued-but-reduced payments are on one hand an acknowledgment of the depth of the economic recession triggered by COVID-19 and associated lockdowns—more than 30 million Americans have filed for unemployment benefits since the start of the pandemic. On the other, they reflect a growing concern among Republicans about the status of the country’s finances after more than $3.6 trillion in emergency spending in recent months, as well as concern that the $600 per week payments might hamper the post-coronavirus recovery.
- It’s Impossible to State How Bad Things Actually Are
- New Zealand’s PM calls for internet censorship, because people don’t believe in climate change and Covid lockdowns
- Worse Than Katrina? It Appears That We Just Witnessed The Most Costly Natural Disaster In U.S. History By A Wide Margin
- The British Government is Experimenting With Feeding African Kids Worms, Locusts, and Flies.
- Exactly One Week After Biden’s Fateful Decision, The U.S. Was Hit By One Of The Worst Natural Disasters In Our History
- All signs point to something huge to happen in next days!
- “If Only We Had More Somalis” Said No One Ever
- Something Big Coming? NATO Countries are Releasing Urgent Calls for Their Citizens to Leave Russia
- It’s Going to Take Some Very Cool Heads to Keep the Blinken Administration from Destroying the World
- The Anti-American Tone on German and Austrian Social Media has Escalated Dramatically