Donald Trump‘s America might be harming the mental health of teens, especially minorities, a new study suggests.
Fear of discrimination became more common among Los Angeles-area teenagers between the 2016 election and the months following Trump’s presidential inauguration in 2017, researchers found.
Trump’s proposed U.S.-Mexico border wall, his travel ban largely targeting Muslim countries, and the immigration crackdown under his watch appear to be contributing to a climate of fear among adolescents, said lead researcher Adam Leventhal. He’s a professor and psychologist with the University of Southern California’s Keck School of Medicine.
As that anxiety increased, teens became more likely to turn to cigarettes, marijuana or alcohol as a means of coping, according to findings published Monday in the journal JAMA Pediatrics.
“How concerned they were about discrimination in society was associated with an acceleration in their risk of substance use, and was associated with increased odds of depression symptoms and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms,” Leventhal said.
But the study did not prove a cause-and-effect relationship.
Regular news of police shootings and the protests they spark may also be contributing to the feeling that America has become a hostile place to live, he added.
IT’S THE TRAINING, STUPID: Algorithms: The Ultimate Excuse.
Related: Perceptions of Newsworthiness are Contaminated by a Political Usefulness Bias. Second author is Gail Heriot, a fellow Instaposter.
SEGREGATION TODAY, SEGREGATION TOMORROW, SEGREGATION FOREVER! The Secret to Keeping Black Men Healthy? Maybe Black Doctors.
- This is the future they have planned for us…
- Are They Essentially Erasing Most Of The Internet?
- Heads Up: Something big is going down. Just about every commodity is collapsing in price. Things deteriorated so much that all the supply chain metrics have become way less constrained
- Bill Gates: Social Credit Scores Are An “Asset”
- Horrific news from Sodom Island
- China’s Warning ENTIRE Economy Will Collapse In 34 Days
- The Dead Internet theory just got even creepier….
- People Are Going To Go Absolutely Insane When Food Prices Double Or Triple From Current Levels
- CDC is quietly deleting misleading information from their website. The following statement was removed from their website between July 16th and July 22nd
- If you are waiting for recession, inflation down, FED pivot, etc., by the time it happens, markets would have already priced most or all of it in. Right on schedule… Michael Burry says the Big Crash is anytime now!