Pompeo: Trump is ‘fully prepared’ for military action against Turkey — CNBC

  • “We prefer peace to war,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tells CNBC’s Wilfred Frost. “But in the event that kinetic action or military action is needed, you should know that President Trump is fully prepared to undertake that action.”
  • Pompeo declines to lay out a red line for what action would prompt a U.S. military response.
  • Trump is under heavy criticism for his decision to withdraw American forces from northern Syria, abandoning the Kurds, who led the ground war against ISIS.

President Donald Trump is prepared to use military force if “needed,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday when he was asked about Turkey’s attack on Kurds in northern Syria.

“We prefer peace to war,” Pompeo told CNBC’s Wilfred Frost in a taped interview that aired on “Closing Bell” on Monday. “But in the event that kinetic action or military action is needed, you should know that President Trump is fully prepared to undertake that action.”

The president is under heavy criticism for his decision to withdraw American forces from northern Syria, abandoning the Kurds, who led the ground war against ISIS. The withdrawal precipitated Turkey’s incursion into the border zone earlier this month, which has left more than 120 civilians dead, according to the U.K.-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Pompeo declined to lay out a red line for what action would prompt a U.S. military response, saying he did not want to “get out in front of the president’s decision about whether to take the awesome undertaking of using America’s military might.”

www.cnbc.com/2019/10/21/pompeo-trump-is-fully-prepared-for-military-action-against-turkey.html

 

 

603 views