- Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian made the shock announcement in a video uploaded to his Instagram page Friday midday
- In the footage, he says he is stepping down ‘for me, for my family, and for my country’ so that his seat on the board can be filled by a black candidate
- ‘It is long overdue to do the right thing. I’m doing this for me, for my family, and for my country,’ he says in the video
- The tech founder and investor is married to tennis star Serena Williams and they have a two-year-old daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian, Jr.
- Williams shared the post on her own social media accounts saying she is ‘so proud of your commitment to not just me but to “us”’
- Ohanian’s move comes just days after Reddit’s former CEO Ellen Pao slammed the company when it published an open letter to staff condemning racism
- Pao accused the company of being part of the problem as it hosts racist accounts and ‘monetizes white supremacy’
- NFL and NBA subreddits also slammed the company this week and called for leadership to resign if they can’t tackle ‘bigotry’ and hatred on the platform
Serena Williams’ Reddit co-founder husband Alexis Ohanian has resigned from the company’s board because he is a ‘father who needs to be able to answer his black daughter when she asks: ‘What did you do?”
The tech founder, who shares two-year-old daughter Alexis Olympia Ohanian, Jr. with his tennis star wife, made the shock announcement in a video uploaded to his Instagram page around midday Friday.
In the footage, he says he is stepping down ‘for me, for my family, and for my country’ so that his seat on the board can be filled by a black candidate and so he can focus on helping to ‘curb racial hate’.
The move comes after the company faced a backlash this week when it sent an open letter to staff addressing the Black Lives Matter protests.
Reddit’s former CEO Ellen Pao blasted the company saying it ‘monetizes white supremacy’ while two of its biggest subreddits staged a blackout and called for leadership to stand down if they don’t tackle ‘bigotry’ on the platform.