It’s over folks.
- The 69-year-old man died in the early hours of January 15 in Wuhan
- He was admitted to hospital on December 31 with symptoms of the virus
- His health deteriorated on January 4 before he died, local media claims
- Japan today confirmed its first case of infection from the new coronavirus
A second person has died from coronavirus in China amid fears the lethal outbreak may spread globally, officials have said.
The 69-year-old man, named only as Xiong, died in the early hours of January 15 at Jinyintan Hospital in Wuhan city.
He had been admitted to hospital on December 31 with symptoms of the virus, said officials at the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission.
Medical treatment failed to save him after his health deteriorated on January 4, local media claims.
A total of 41 patients in Wuhan have been struck with pneumonia caused by the virus since December. The first death, on January 9, was a man aged 61.
The news comes on the same day Japan confirmed its first case of infection – a man in his 30s from Tokyo who had recently visited Wuhan.
It was the second time the virus has been detected outside China, after a 61-year-old woman was quarantined and treated in Thailand. She had also visited Wuhan.