- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the Trump administration was keeping tabs on Chinese diplomats in the United States
- He said China’s New York consulate in Manhattan was a major spy hub
- It comes just days after NYPD officer Baimadajie Angwang, a naturalized US citizen from Tibet, was charged with being a spy for China
- A criminal complaint says he secretly worked for unnamed handlers from the Chinese Consulate in New York
- China has said the allegations are a ‘pure fabrication’
Pompeo told the New York Post on Thursday that the Trump administration was keeping tabs on Chinese diplomats in the United States and there could potentially be more arrests.
‘They’re engaged in activities where they’re crossing the line from normal diplomacy to the kinds of things that would be more akin to what spies are doing,’ Pompeo said.
‘Remember, not only do we have Chinese consulates here, but there’s a UN facility, too.