Tesla (TSLA) is facing an unprecedented $20 billion short bet against its stock. Could it potentially turn into a bloodbath?
For years now, Tesla has been a popular target of short sellers, who are people who bet against stocks and benefit if they go down.
With the automaker’s stock having a meteoric rise over the last few months, CEO Elon Musk has been taunting those people betting against the company.
Now we get actual data on the short interest on Tesla’s stock, thanks to Ihor Dusaniwsky, managing director of predictive analytics at S3 Partners.
Dusaniwsky says that Tesla short interest is about to reach $20 billion for the first time:
Tesla continues to be the largest equity short in the domestic market with $19.2 billion of short interest. TSLA recently hit a short interest level of $19.95 billion and is poised to be the first stock to hot the $20 billion short interest threshold.
To be fair, the unprecedented value of the short position is not due to increase interest in shorting Tesla, but because the value per share has also skyrocketed — closing at $1,394 TSLA per share.
Dusaniwsky argues that Tesla benefited from a short squeeze:
The reason behind Tesla’s short squeeze is obvious and straight forward, large mark-to-market losses are forcing out some short sellers as they hit their loss limit thresholds.
In order to “short” a stock, short sellers need to borrow shares at the current price, and they hope that can buy back at a lower value to “cover” their position.
If the stock price increases and many short sellers decide to cover at the same time, it creates higher demand for the stock and can push it higher, which is called a “short squeeze.”
The analyst believes that Tesla shorts have lost just over $18 billion on their bet against Tesla so far in 2020.
Almost half of those losses happened in June and the first week of July.
- This is the Beginning of a Massive Story
- KanYe Proved on Alex Jones Show That WW2 History is Trauma Based Indoctrination
- Food Products Are Now 125% More Expensive At Walmart
- “Baal-enci-aga” Literally Means “Baal The King”
- LOL! This is how Qatari TV reacted to Germany’s World Cup exit…
- Why the Media Is Desperately Hiding the Truth About the Economy
- I Think They Will Kill KanYe After Yesterday’s Appearance on Alex Jones Show
- Here’s the most important takeaway from TwitterGate
- 10 Big Retail Stores That Will Disappear In The Months Ahead
- The next Great Financial Crisis is slouching closer