Trump Announces 3-Week Stopgap Deal, Threatens ‘National Emergency’ If No Wall Funding
Update 3 (2:20 pm ET): Trump has announced a tentative deal to reopen the government for 3 weeks until Feb. 15.
- TRUMP: AS EVERYBODY KNOWS, I HAVE “VERY POWERFUL ALTERNATIVE”
- TRUMP SAYS HE WILL SIGN BILL TO OPEN GOVERNMENT FOR 3 WEEKS
- TRUMP SAYS HE WILL MAKE SURE WORKERS GET THEIR PAY QUICKLY
- TRUMP SAYS DEAL REACHED TO END SHUTDOWN
- TRUMP SAYS HE HAS POWERFUL ALTERNATIVE, HOPES WON’T BE NEEDED
- TRUMP EXPECTS HOMELAND SECURITY PACKAGE TO BE SIGNED SOON
Trump is leaving his options open to call a national emergency to build the wall if no deal is reached. He also said he would look at border technology including drones. Furthermore, the wall won’t be a “medieval” wall but will be a “see-through steel” “smart wall” built in “preidentified strategic areas” with features like see-through visibility.
“If we don’t get a fair deal from Congress, the government will either shut down on Feb. 15 again, or I will use the emergency powers…to address this emergency. We will have great security,” Trump said.
Stocks are moving lower on the confirmation…
* * *