Somehow people got it in their heads that Upwork is a ‘stay at home’ play. Is it though?
How does upwork make money?
Upwork has two types of users: Clients and Freelancers.
A Client will go on upwork and post a job. Freelancers will then bid on that job. The more popular the job is, the more freelancers will bid on it thereby driving down the price of the contract or the hourly wage.
Upwork takes a (large) cut from the Freelancer, not from the client. Prior to covid, upwork was already flooded with cheap labor. A majority of the contracts that keep upwork afloat are software contracts. If I’m an experienced American software engineer with a desired hourly wage of $70-$120 trying to make a living, I’d have to go on upwork and spend time putting up a bid along with a cover letter and answering any ancillary questions a client asks in order to bid on a contract. Most of the contracts i’ve seen have 20+ other people bidding on them. Even if someone does miraculously get the job, upwork takes 20% off the top. The whole process sucks. Because of that, some contractors will use upwork to find clients, then take the conversation off upwork to avoid paying the 20% fee. Upwork recently implemented new protocols to attempt to stop people from doing that because it’s such a problem (for them. Its great for freelancers).
Highly paid software engineers are the bread and butter for upwork. However, the bidding model that upwork uses drives the price of contracts down. So in the end, upwork makes less money and the client gets shittier quality work from less experienced individuals.
On top of that, covid has added even more freelancers to the marketplace driving contract prices down even further.
I shorted UPWK today. Cramer mentioned it last Friday and it went up a point (because Cramer has the midas touch). Looking at the chart pre-covid, i’d expect it to head back down to 9 or below on shitty earnings in August. I plan on buying puts in July leading in to earnings.
tldr; UPWK is not a stay at home play and currently has an inflated price. Short or buy puts.
Disclaimer: This information is only for educational purposes. Do not make any investment decisions based on the information in this article. Do you own due diligence.
- Bill Gates Developing Vaccine That Spreads ‘Like a Virus’ To Vaccinate People Without Consent
- Democrats just screwed the whole country…
- If this kind of thing can happen in Duluth it can happen anywhere.
- A sea of red. Images show latest insider transactions. All either sales or option exercises. Not a single buy from insiders.
- Insurance CEO, Todd Callender says the real pandemic is NOW.
- Hedge funds are betting against bonds and stocks, net insider selling is higher than it’s been since January. Blackrock CEO selling shares like they are pennies. The 08 parallels are freaky
- Jim Quinn: ‘The average American is getting screwed harder than a monkeypox spreader at a San Francisco orgy’
- Green Energy – The Greatest Deception In Modern History
- Social Security payments: Millions of SSI recipients to get two checks worth up to $1,652 next month
- It is a totalitarian system: The FBI is raiding Mar-a-Lago and trying to criminalize opposition to the regime. NEVER in the history of the United States has the FBI ever carried out such a raid.