This is what I have been saying: they have been intentionally slow-walking their response to this thing.
The coronavirus has spread to more than 24 countries despite China reporting Sunday a drop in new virus cases for the third straight day.
As new numbers of the coronavirus’ alarming reach are released, the WHO has been accused of “delaying” its response for a sinister reason.
There are 2,009 new cases in mainland China, bringing its total number of confirmed cases to 68,500, according to the country’s National Health Commission.
The fatality rate remained stable with 142 new deaths. The death toll in mainland China from COVID-19, a disease stemming from a new form of coronavirus, now stands at 1,665.
The outbreak began in December in Wuhan, capital of the central Chinese province of Hubei.
Earlier, The World Health Organisation (WHO) has been accused of “delaying” its response to the coronavirus outbreak in an attempt to appease China.
By the time the UN agency declared a global health emergency on January 30, the virus had already spread well beyond China.
The WHO says it first heard reports of a previously-unknown virus in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, on December 31 last year.
It’s estimated to have started in early December, but local Chinese officials sought to play down the virus so as not to attract the ire of the Chinese Communist Party.
Public health experts suspect that before the meeting on January 23, China tried to downplay the virus and urged the agency not to designate it a “public health emergency of international concern”, according to The Times. The WHO has denied influence claims.
Dr John Ashton, one of the UK’s leading public health specialists, said the WHO “failed to declare a global public health emergency in a timely way”.