I love that more people are focusing on the actual root problems we have, such as the pharmaceutical companies and the shill doctors they bribe.
Pharmaceutical companies, the Beer and Liquor industry, police unions, and private prisons all oppose marijuana legalization. That is the main reason why governments have been slow to legalize it. There are too many bought off politicians.
A 2014 study showed a significant decrease in deaths from opiates where marijuana was made legal. Marijuana puts a direct hit in the profits from pharmaceutical companies.
The pharmaceutical lobbies have also opposed DEA enforcement in the US against corrupt doctors and pharmaceutical companies.What we basically have is “legalized heroin” in the US, and slow legalization of marijuana. It’s a completely backwards system.
Also see this: Oxycontin Maker Quietly Worked to Weaken Legal Doctrine That Could Lead to Jail Time for Executives
Links on bribery of doctors, and this is not just limited to opiate medications:
-  In Guilty Plea, OxyContin Maker to Pay $600 Million. The company that makes the narcotic painkiller OxyContin and three current and former executives pleaded guilty in federal court to criminal charges that they misled regulators, doctors and patients about the drug’s risk of addiction and its potential to be abused. Company sales officials were allowed to draw their own fake scientific charts which showed a lower addictive potential, which they then distributed to doctors.
- FBI agents arrested former Insys Therapeutics CEO Michael Babich and five other former company executives on Thursday for allegedly bribing doctors to prescribe fentanyl to patients who didn’t need it.
- Pharma Billionaire (founder of Insys Therapeutics) Arrested On Charges of Bribing Doctors to Prescribe Opioid Painkillers
The same goes for anti depressants.
- The pharmaceutical group GlaxoSmithKline has been fined $3bn after admitting to bribing doctors and encouraging the prescription of unsuitable antidepressants to children.
- Prozac for babies? Psychiatric drugs are now being given to infants and toddlers in unprecedented numbers.
- More than 10,000 American toddlers 2 or 3 years old are being medicated for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder outside established pediatric guidelines.
How the science on this has been corrupted:
- Scientific American: How Pharma-Funded Research Cherry-Picks Positive Results.
- In 2009, Dr. Marcia Angell of the New England Journal of Medicine wrote: “It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine.”
- Richard Horton, editor in chief of The Lancet, recently wrote: “Much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends of dubious importance, science has taken a turn towards darkness. As one participant put it, “poor methods get results”.
- “I can’t tell you exactly what percentage of the trials are flawed, but I think the problem is far bigger than you imagine, and getting worse…it is so easy to manipulate data, conceal it or fabricate it…there is almost a code of silence not to speak about it.” –Whistleblower Dr. Peter Wilmshurst
- “The neuroscientific community needs to challenge the current scientific model driven by dysfunctional research practices tacitly encouraged by the ‘publish or perish’ doctrine, which is precisely leading to the low reliability and the high discrepancy of results.”
- Estimating the reproducibility of psychological science (Ninety-seven percent of original studies had significant results (P < .05). Thirty-six percent of replications had significant results)