The following is an excerpt from a recent Tactical ETF Portfolio update featured on The Felder Report Premium.
Stocks rallied another 4.5% in May, taking their total gain from the March lows to 39%. When we put this result into the context of an estimated 52.8% annualized decline in GDP during the current quarter (via the Atlanta Fed), equity valuations have just risen to new record highs.
The new reading in the Buffett Yardstick yields a 10-year forecast for equities of -6% per year, including dividends (based on the 80% negative correlation between the two).
As you probably noticed from the chart above, however, returns over the past decade have exceeded this measure’s forecast by several percent per year so it’s certainly possible for the market to avoid such a nasty fate. The difference between forecast and actual returns can be explained by sentiment (hat tip, Mark Louis via John Hussman). When investors (and consumers) are overly confident, stocks outperform their fundamentals and vice versa.
Now that sentiment has already begun to rapidly deteriorate, it would seem reasonable to expect the excess returns of the past decade to be given back and possibly in short order. This would mean the S&P 500 Index would have to fall approximately to the 1,750 area, more than 40% below its current price.
- Hillary Clinton leaked emails reason to get rid of Gadaffi
- Stagflation 2023: The Looming Economic Nightmare You Can’t Afford to Ignore
- Deutsche Bank Is On The Brink Of Collapse: Get Prepared For The Next Lehman Brothers Moment
- The US Dollar World Reserve Status is Officially Over
- Satan Has Become One Of The Hottest Spiritual Figures In America
- S686 Patriot Act 2.0 – This is the bill that lets them kick down your door and kill your dog because you are guilty for doubting the Biden regime.
- ‘Unsafe and ineffective’ Pfizer is going to court!
- US Banks are seeing the largest drop in bank deposits since the Great Financial Crisis and a ‘second wave’ is coming
- Shocking Biden hot-mic reveals how handlers program his every move WATCH. Yes, this is 100% real.
- The recession is here, the market crash is next.