- AOC said she made payment towards her $20,237 balance during the House Financial Services Committee hearing on student debt on Tuesday
- ‘I just made a payment that took me down to $19,000,’ she told the audience
- She then made a point that the issue of student debt is everyone’s problem
- ‘I’m hearing people on this committee say it’s not our job,’ Ocasio-Cortez said, referring to Republican testimony during the hearing. ‘This is our job,’ she added
- Ironically, 68 members of Congress and/or their family members are swimming in student loan debt, and 24 of those members are Republicans
Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made the point that the issue of student debt is everyone’s problem by making her own student loan payment during a congressional hearing on Tuesday.
Ocasio-Cortez opened her remarks by telling her audience that she had made a payment while attending the House Financial Services Committee hearing on student debt.
‘I literally made a student loan payment while I was sitting here at this chair, and I looked at my balance, and it was $20,237.16,’ Ocasio-Cortez said while holding up her notepad.