- Wall Street is on the look out for margin pressures from rising labor costs, trade wars and falling oil prices, as a sharp drop in margins is an early warning signal for a recession.
- But while there is deterioration, analysts see flattish margins this quarter and no signs of recession.
- However, some strategists say stagnant margins hold back corporate profits — and potentially stock market gains.
- Tech, communications services and energy are among the areas most impacted by contracting margins.
As corporate earnings reports roll in, analysts are keeping a close eye on profit margins as a possible early warning signal for the markets and economy.
Profit margins are showing some signs of contraction, but Ned Davis Research analysts say there’s no broad deterioration yet, and they expect margins to be flattish. But the analysts do note that “stagnating margins are an obstacle in the way of accelerating earnings growth, something likely needed for a year-end rally.”
Net profit margins for the third quarter are currently predicted to be 11.3% for the S&P 500, below the 11.5% of the second quarter but better than the first quarter’s 11%, according to FactSet.
- A Horrifying Drought Is Causing Widespread Crop Failures Throughout The United States And Europe
- China’s Warning ENTIRE Economy Will Collapse In 34 Days
- Ron Paul: “With each passing day, the Biden Administration drifts further & further from reality… The painful economic realities of government spending and Fed inflation are staring every American in the face.”
- CDC is quietly deleting misleading information from their website. The following statement was removed from their website between July 16th and July 22nd
- China ending paper trading in Precious Metals On MONDAY, could be HUGE
- An EU Satellite captures a terrifying picture of Western Europe, almost looks like the Sahara
- A man apprehends a thief who sucker punched an elderly customer and stole his wallet and phone.
- Tom Fitton: “I’ve reviewed the warrant material released in response to Judicial Watch court request. It is all a scam.”
- Disturbing Proof They’re Quietly Deleting the Internet
- People Are Going To Go Absolutely Insane When Food Prices Double Or Triple From Current Levels