- Fit in 15 fitness trainer Jessica Maiolo, 31, was kicked off Team USA Paintball for ‘fat-shaming’ a teenager hospitalized for COVID-19
- The group not affiliated with the Olympics made the announcement Monday
- ‘Our investigation into the troubling conduct of Ms. Maiolo has been concluded and we have decided to remove her from the team indefinitely,’ a statement read
- Maiolo shared a video on TikTok in which she showed no sympathy for David Espino, 17, saying he needed to lose weight while smiling smugly
- Espino is an offensive lineman at Miami Tru Foundation Academy and has been dubbed an ‘under-the-radar prospect’
- Maiolo responded to her dismissal by saying she never intended to ‘shame’ the teen she mocked and hoped he ‘is well’
Fitness trainer and Team USA Paintball player Jessica Maiolo has been booted off the squad after she was accused of ‘fat-shaming’ a teenager hospitalized for COVID-19 by saying he needs ‘a f**king treadmill’ more than a vaccine.
The team, which is not affiliated with the Olympics, announced on Monday they were cutting ties with Maiolo, 31, after she shared a video on TikTok in which she scornfully reacted to a news report about David Espino, 17, a Florida high school all-star football player.
The video earned furious backlash, with commenters comparing her to a ‘Hallmark Christmas movie villain’ for ridiculing a sick child and calling on her team to kick her out.
Team USA Paintball initially responded on Monday by saying that Maiolo had been suspended pending an investigation but adding: ‘We try to respect every individual’s right to have opinions and express them personally.’
Less than 24 hours later the team announced her removal ‘effective immediately,’ writing in a statement: ‘Our investigation into the troubling conduct of Ms. Maiolo has been concluded and we have decided to remove her from the team indefinitely.’