Fire and gas explosion in Lithium Battery of Norwegian ferry

by Natura Naturans

Explosions of lithium batteries have occurred in electric cars causing the fire death of drivers. Cell phones have exploded killing people. Laptop batteries have exploded causing houses to burn down. AND NOW, we have a large ferry battery explode. I would never have a Tesla power wall in my home, OR an all electric car with lithium batteries, it doesn’t look safe.

Anyone fancy a hybrid-electric cruise after reading this?
Norwegian authorities are warning shipowners and operators about the dangers associated with lithium-ion battery systems after a fire and subsequent gas explosion on board a diesel-electric ferry in Norway.

The small fire was reported October 10 in the battery room of the Norled passenger ferry MF Ytterøyningen, reports

The ferry returned to harbor under its own power where passengers and crew were evacuated to land.

Overnight, however, a serious gas explosion rocked the battery room causing significant damage.

We are primarily funded by readers. Please subscribe and donate to support us!

Norwegian broadcasting company NRK reported that twelve firefighters were taken to the hospital for exposure to hazardous gases associated with the batteries.

“The Norwegian Maritime Authority recommends that all shipowners with vessels that have battery installations, carry out a new risk assessment of the dangers connected to possible accumulations of explosive gases during unwanted incidents in the battery systems,” the Norwegian Maritime Authority said in statement.

Alternatively, British Columbia-based, Corvus Energy, which supplied the ferry’s battery system, has issued recommendations to operators not to sail without communication between the shipboard energy management system and the battery packs, as well as what to do in case of a gas release or “thermal runaway situation”.

Thermal runaway occurs when lithium-ion cell temperatures exceed the thermal runaway threshold, resulting in the sudden release of flammable, toxic gases and excessive heat that could result in an explosion.…r-warning/

Never charge your phones or laptops unattended. Here is what happened to one unlucky soul:





Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.