A fire in the Bronx choked an apartment building with thick black smoke, killing 17 people, many of them children. That was on the ninth day of January, a Sunday — the same day a teenage cashier at a Burger King in Manhattan was shot and killed during a robbery.
The following Saturday, a man killed a woman he’d never seen before by shoving her in front of an oncoming subway train in Times Square, a crime that uniquely horrifies New Yorkers, unpreventable and random as lightning.
Three days later, on Tuesday, an officer in the Bronx was shot in the leg during a struggle. Wednesday: a baby was shot in the face by a random bullet while sitting in a parked car in the Bronx. Thursday: a detective shot, this time during a drug arrest in Staten Island.
And on Friday, two officers responding to a domestic dispute in Harlem were shot in an apartment hallway by a man with a stolen gun, killing one and leaving the other clinging to life.
All these incidents played out in a city still staggering from the coronavirus and grappling with its Omicron variant, which has kept the empty storefronts empty and delayed indefinitely the return of office workers and a sense of normalcy….
Another person was pushed onto the tracks of a New York subway station Sunday — a little more than a week after an Asian American woman died after being shoved in front of a train in Times Square.
The two incidents, which the New York Police Department said were both unprovoked, have thrust the issue of subway violence back into the spotlight and sparked widespread calls for officials to do more to protect subway riders.
A 62-year-old man whose name has not been released publicly was pushed onto the tracks of a southbound train at Fulton Street subway station in Lower Manhattan, the NYPD said in a statement to The Washington Post, adding that he made contact with the first car of the train and fell onto the tracks.
The man, who sustained a leg laceration, was taken to NewYork-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital. Police said there have been no arrests in connection with the incident.
- TERMINATORS: Killer robots join Ukraine’s line of defense against Russian troops
- Left calls for war in all rural areas says cops cant do nothing
- Whoa! More negative wealth effects coming down the pipe…big recession ahead
- WTF, Who Is Running Our Country?
- Percent change in home sales in total (YoY) and percent change in sales by home price level
- Fed throws Biden under the bus, says hes collapsing the country
- The Biggest Temper Tantrum In U.S. History Has Begun
- The collapse in consumer sentiment is definitive proof that social mood is rolling over. Hard. So far, the declines in stocks have been bought ALL the way down. Each rally has been shorter than the last.
- New Data Shows Massive Drop in Birth Rates After Covid 19 Vax Campaign
- Congressman Jim Jordan gets Debbie Birx to admit the truth…