“Britain’s GCHQ can spy on anyone but British nationals, America’s NSA can conduct surveillance on anyone but Americans, and Germany’s BND can spy on anyone but Germans. That’s how a matrix is created of boundless surveillance in which each partner aids in a division of roles.”
How the US and other nations skirt laws against domestic spying:
- “Britain’s GCHQ intelligence agency can spy on anyone but British nationals, the NSA can conduct surveillance on anyone but Americans, and Germany’s BND (Bundesnachrichtendienst) foreign intelligence agency can spy on anyone but Germans. That’s how a matrix is created of boundless surveillance in which each partner aids in a division of roles. www.spiegel.de/international/world/secret-documents-nsa-targeted-germany-and-eu-buildings-a-908609.html
- NSA ‘offers intelligence to British counterparts to skirt UK law’ www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jun/10/nsa-offers-intelligence-british-counterparts-blunkett
- NSA shares raw intelligence including Americans’ data with Israel www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/11/nsa-americans-personal-data-israel-documents
Besides the claimed “legal” surveillance of Americans using a loophole, we also know that there is some illegal surveillance as well. They must either have two divisions, or they have to come up with a plausible legal explanation if the NSA shares intelligence on Americans, hence the loophole.
- William Binney (Former high level NSA analyst, also whistleblower pre-Snowden): “At least 80% of fibre-optic cables globally go via the US”, Binney said. “This is no accident and allows the US to view all communication coming in. At least 80% of all audio calls, not just metadata, are recorded and stored in the US. The NSA lies about what it stores.” www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/11/the-ultimate-goal-of-the-nsa-is-total-population-control
- Are all telephone calls recorded and accessible to the US government? FBI official says yes. www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/may/04/telephone-calls-recorded-fbi-boston
- Russel Tice (NSA whistleblower pre-Snowden): “I Saw The Order To Wiretap Barack Obama In 2004.” www.businessinsider.com/the-nsa-spied-on-barack-obama-2004-russ-tice-2013-6.
- Eschelon was on 60 minutes back in the year 2000 www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdm78zcv8o The relevant part is 13 minutes. Highly recommended.
Is the surveillance aimed only at “bad guys?” Nope, that was a lie as well.
- How America Spies on Europe and the UN — President Obama promised that NSA surveillance activities were aimed exclusively at preventing terrorist attacks. But secret documents from the intelligence agency show that the Americans spy on Europe, the UN and other countries. The NSA describes the [Blarney] program’s main targets as “diplomatic establishment, counter-terrorism, foreign government and economic.” These documents also say that Blarney is one of the “top sources” for the President’s Daily Brief, a top-secret document which briefs the US president every morning on intelligence matters. Some 11,000 pieces of information reportedly come from Blarney every year. www.spiegel.de/international/world/secret-nsa-documents-show-how-the-us-spies-on-europe-and-the-un-a-918625.html