I cannot tell you how excited I am to have found this paper!
Introduction to Aluminum Adjuvants and Autism (20 pages, 97 references)
(download the pdf)
It is presented at the vaccinepapers.org website and is an excellent summary of the discoveries of the last 10 years on this topic. All the abstracts and full text papers can be found at their website. Other more detailed discussions covering the same topics, article abstracts, and full article links can be found at the vaccinepapers.org website. (ht to greendoc who pointed me to Paul Thomas’ Vaccine-Friendly Plan book and lectures)
The short version chronology of this new perspective.
1. In several animal models, gestational infections with several different diseases greatly increased future autism and schizophrenia in the unborn progeny. Case controlled human studies tend to confirm the importance of gestational infections. Did the infectious organisms themselves damaging the developing fetal brains?
2. Suspecting that gestational Maternal Immune Activation (MIA), not the infection itself, was the cause of autism in offspring, they gave inflammatory chemicals to pregnant females (“poly-IC” to stimulate an immune response to a viral infection, and “LPS” to simulate response to a bacterial infection) and found that it was the MIA that caused neurologic disease in offspring, not the infection itself.
3. Finding the chemical communication molecule by which MIA caused neurologic disease lead to finding Interleukin-6 (IL-6) as the messenger initiating brain degeneration from MIA. When IL-6 was blocked with antibodies to IL-6, or in mice genetically bred to be unable to make IL-6, then neurologic diseases were NOT produced by deliberate MIA.
4. Rather than eliciting a MIA indirectly, they simply gave IL-6 to pregnant females producing neurologic disease in the future offspring. This establishes IL-6 as a key mediator in the creation of autism.
5. And not just pre-natally, early post-natal brain inflammation can create autism like behaviors.
6. Human and animal models of autism show intense inflammation in the brain. It is a neurodegenerative disease triggered by inflammation. Histology and biochemical studies of the MIA damaged brains matched the histology of human autistics.
Aluminum Salt Nanoparticles
1. Most of the childhood vaccines contain Aluminum salts in nanoparticles that serve as adjuvants. Without the aluminum, the child’s immune system doesn’t react much to the shot. These nanoparticles clump into larger agglutinations and can be found persisting in the muscle tissue at the vaccine injection site for months/years. These agglutinations are mostly insoluble and aluminum is not cleared in the urine (nor found to any significant degree in blood and hair samples). Macrophages, a type of white blood cell, engulf (phagocytose) the Al agglutinations in the inflamed muscle at the injection site to sequester them. Months and years after the injection, these particles can be observed persisting in the muscle.
2. Macrophages filled with aluminum agglutinations, crawl through tissue and are eventually taken up into lymphatics where they travel to regional lymph nodes and the spleen. From there to distant lymph nodes. Some make it into the thoracic duct (a lymphatic vessel) that dumps into the blood stream.
3. As these macrophages traverse brain capillary beds in the blood, the macrophages are allowed to climb out of vessels, cross the blood brain barrier, and migrate through brain tissue carrying their toxic load of aluminum particles. The key hypothesis is this: Seepage of Al from these macrophages initiates local brain inflammation.
4. Animal models show macrophages ladened with aluminum nanoparticles in brain tissue when measured months and years after the injections. Human autistics have high brain aluminum levels, also, and high inflammatory markers such as IL-6.
5. Aluminum within brain tissue seeps out activating the microglia (the white blood cells of the brain) producing high levels of inflammation and elevated inflammatory cytokines such as IL-6. These inflammatory changes are chronic and very long lasting.
6. The developmental stage at the time when the inflammation is created affect outcome with the immature brains, still forming synapses, the most sensitive.
Bucking the established viewpoint is hard work! It is so much easier when our trusted authority just tell us what is so. Entertaining a paradigm shift forces us to read, think hard, and chase down lots of references to review in detail.
I will be very interested to know your thoughts on this new field.