1. The Caravan Is Violent
Nielsen called the violence seen on Sunday “entirely predictable,” and said it had been attacking border police in Mexico and other Central American countries.
“I refuse to believe that anyone honestly maintains that attacking law enforcement with rocks and projectiles is acceptable. It is shocking that I have to explain this, but officers can be seriously or fatally injured in such attacks. Self-defense isn’t debatable for most law-abiding Americans,” Nielsen wrote.
2. The Caravan Is Large And Organized
Nielsen said the current caravan “is far larger and more organized than previous ones,” with upwards of 8,500 members currently in Tijuana and Mexicali. She also noted reports of other caravans making their way to the border.
3. Caravan Members Are Largely Not Eligible For Asylum
The media has been claiming the caravan is full of abused women and children fleeing violence and seeking asylum (despite an actual asylum-seeking process already existing). As Nielsen notes, this isn’t accurate.
4. Caravan Members Are Largely Male
5. Yes, There Are Criminals Among The Caravan Members
6. No One Was Killed Or Injured During The Violence On Sunday