The city of Kalamazoo, Michigan has now decriminalized public urination, defecation, and littering to be more “equitable.”
Small business owners in the area had voiced their opposition to the effort, but their concerns were ignored.
On Monday, July 18, the city commission unanimously voted to reduce the offenses from a misdemeanor to just a civil infraction.
Becky Bil, co-owner of Pop City Popcorn in downtown Kalamazoo, is one of the business owners who has been taking a stand. She told MLive that there have already been “aggressive and unstable” panhandlers in the area.
“People have to clean up where they have defecated right in front of your door of your business,” Bil said. “We can’t have that downtown.”
Cherri Emery, owner of Cherri’s Chocol’art, echoed Bil’s concerns, telling the news outlet that “I don’t understand why it would be proposed that the law would be less restrictive than it is now.”
“I don’t understand why we would make it easier for them,” Emery said.
Kalamazoo Mayor David Anderson said that decriminalizing these offenses will help the city be more “equitable.” City Commissioner Chris Praedel said pretty much the same thing, according to a report from Fox 17, that it is “fair and equitable to who these laws were most affecting, the unhoused population, as well as provide a better solution for those trying to get on their feet.”
“I definitely empathize with the downtown business owners too. They have invested a lot to be in downtown, and a lot of those spots are mom and pop shops where that is their life income. We want to be respectful of that. We hear them. We are listening to them, and we care a lot, but we care about everybody in the community,” Praedel said.
- The Case Against Trump is a Diversion From the Monetary Collapse and a Defeat in Ukraine
- Rothschilds, Rockefellers, and More Redpills
- Proof of What JADE HELM 15 really is and why they are doing it. This is VERY important you read. Your life may depend on it.
- The Fed Just Broke EVERYTHING!! (This Is Bad)
- James O’Keefe: “Linda Malone, Maryland elections admin, RESIGNS day after @OKeefeMedia expose showing thousands of contributions through individual Annapolis, MD home addresses”
- CDC Posts Airports Warning Signs Today March 31, 2023
- The TRUTH about the bank runs. Regulators are LYING to you!
- This is beyond disturbing!
- “What I did NOT KNOW was that Mr Macron was not vaccinated. I did not know that most of the members of the government were not.”
- Things Are Starting To Get Really Crazy Out There…