Doubts about Elon Musk’s ability to take Tesla Inc. private mounted across Wall Street on Thursday, driving the stock down as much as 4 percent in what’s shaping up to be the worst rout in a month.
The stock slipped to $356.66 in late morning trading, well below the $420 at which Musk said shareholders would be bought out. It’s now dropped on back-to-back days after having jumped 11 percent on Tuesday, when Musk vowed that he had “funding secured” for a spectacular $82 billion deal.
Since that initial tweet, though, he has offered no evidence to back up the statement. Nor has anyone stepped forward publicly — or privately — to say they’re behind the plan. People with or close to 15 financial institutions and technology firms who spoke on the condition of anonymity said they weren’t aware of financing having been locked in before Musk’s tweet.
“I don’t really understand the idea of what was suggested in the potential for them to go private,” Dick Weil, CEO of Janus Henderson Group, said in an interview with Bloomberg Television. “That’s obviously an incredibly large valuation to somehow take into the private market.”
All of which could be problematic as the Securities and Exchange Commission starts investigating the matter. Regulators have asked the company if what Musk tweeted was factual and why such a disclosure was made via social media rather than in a filing, according to the Wall Street Journal, citing unidentified people familiar with the matter. Judith Burns, an SEC spokeswoman, declined to comment. Tesla also declined to comment.
“When Musk tweeted this, was he saying this was something that was definitely going to happen? Something that might happen?” said Ira Matetsky, a partner at Ganfer Shore Leeds & Zauderer in New York. “How would a reasonable investor interpret that and was it consistent with the facts as they existed at the time?”
- This is the future they have planned for us…
- Are They Essentially Erasing Most Of The Internet?
- Heads Up: Something big is going down. Just about every commodity is collapsing in price. Things deteriorated so much that all the supply chain metrics have become way less constrained
- Bill Gates: Social Credit Scores Are An “Asset”
- Horrific news from Sodom Island
- China’s Warning ENTIRE Economy Will Collapse In 34 Days
- The Dead Internet theory just got even creepier….
- People Are Going To Go Absolutely Insane When Food Prices Double Or Triple From Current Levels
- CDC is quietly deleting misleading information from their website. The following statement was removed from their website between July 16th and July 22nd
- If you are waiting for recession, inflation down, FED pivot, etc., by the time it happens, markets would have already priced most or all of it in. Right on schedule… Michael Burry says the Big Crash is anytime now!