In an online article, NPR stated: ‘Over the past 32 years, Morning Edition has broadcast a reading of the Declaration of Independence by NPR staff as a way of marking Independence Day.
‘But after last summer’s protests and our national reckoning on race, the words in the document land differently.’
In reference to the ‘flaws and hypocrisies’ within the historic document, NPR wrote: ‘It famously declares “that all men are created equal” even though women, enslaved people and Indigenous Americans were not held as equal at the time.’
Outrage at NPR after it called Declaration of Independence ‘a document with flaws and deeply ingrained hypocrisies’ and warned readers it ‘includes a racial slur’
- NPR’s annual July 4 reading of the historic document came with warning
- The broadcaster noted the famous promise of ‘equality’ did not apply to women, enslaved people and Native Americans living in the country
- It also noted a reference to Native Americans as ‘merciless Indian savages’
- Despite its flaws, the document’s message is still aspirational, NPR said
- Social media users slammed the broadcaster for being ‘tone deaf’
- Some began using #DefundNPR in posts, while others said they would donate
— Literally Heather (@Shouse34) July 5, 2021
Facebook blocks “Revolution” hashtag on Independence Day weekend
Facebook came under fire Sunday for blocking the hashtag “revolution” on the Fourth of July, a federal holiday celebrating the passage of the Declaration of Independence during the American Revolution.
Sharp-eyed social-media mavens noticed starting Friday that Facebook searches for “#revolution” were met with a “Keeping Our Community Safe” notification with an image of a locked page and the message, “Posts with revolution are temporarily hidden here.”
“Some content in those posts goes against our Community Standards,” said the message, which included a link to the standards page.
- It’s Impossible to State How Bad Things Actually Are
- New Zealand’s PM calls for internet censorship, because people don’t believe in climate change and Covid lockdowns
- Worse Than Katrina? It Appears That We Just Witnessed The Most Costly Natural Disaster In U.S. History By A Wide Margin
- The British Government is Experimenting With Feeding African Kids Worms, Locusts, and Flies.
- Exactly One Week After Biden’s Fateful Decision, The U.S. Was Hit By One Of The Worst Natural Disasters In Our History
- All signs point to something huge to happen in next days!
- “If Only We Had More Somalis” Said No One Ever
- Something Big Coming? NATO Countries are Releasing Urgent Calls for Their Citizens to Leave Russia
- It’s Going to Take Some Very Cool Heads to Keep the Blinken Administration from Destroying the World
- The Anti-American Tone on German and Austrian Social Media has Escalated Dramatically