‘It’s the biggest thing in the history of the internet’: Pentagon quietly transfers 175 million internet addresses worth $4BILLION to mysterious firm at shared workspace in Florida
* Transfer of idle DoD IP addresses took place minutes before Trump left office
* Huge swathe of 175 million addresses accounts for 4% of the entire internet
* They are now under the control of mysterious Global Resource Systems LLC
* Company’s address is listed in a co-working space above a bank in Florida
* Reporter who visited the address found no representative and was told to leave
* Now Pentagon says it is running a ‘pilot’ to ‘identify potential vulnerabilities’
A very strange thing happened on the internet the day President Joe Biden was sworn in.
A shadowy company residing at a shared workspace above a Florida bank announced to the world´s computer networks that it was now managing a colossal, previously idle chunk of the internet owned by the U.S. Department of Defense.
That real estate has since more than quadrupled to 175 million addresses – about 4 percent the size of the entire current internet. It’s also more than twice the size of the internet space actually used by the Pentagon.
Is someone trying to get hold of the internet?