Nothing to see here, just another example of corporatism decimating the lives of everyday people
Moldy walls, leaky roofs, rising rents. That’s what tenants of Stephen Schwarzman, Blackstone CEO, are living with. It’s time to repeal Costa-Hawkins. It’s time to rise up for rent control. Vote YES on Prop 10!
Brave New Films, and the Proposition 10 campaign, have released a new short film – Corporate Landlords: The Fight for Affordable Housing in California – exposing the greed and abuses of corporate landlord, Blackstone. The film shows how Prop. 10, if passed, could be a lifeline for countless tenants across California struggling to get by.
Blackstone is the largest owner of real-estate in the world, managing nearly $100 billion in property. It is just one of the corporate landlords creating and profiting from the housing crisis in California. Brave New Films uses it in the short film to showcase the out-of-control corporate greed that has helped lead to the state’s displacement crisis. Corporate Landlords features interviews with tenants of Blackstone and its subsidiary, Invitation Homes, and shows how the company has consistently neglected maintenance of its properties, while spiking rents to skyhigh levels. One tenant highlighted, Sheri Eddings, discusses how she’s fought multiple $500 rent increases while living in a neighborhood known as “Death Valley,” a reference to the area’s high murder rate.
While Blackstone is a major part of the film, the short is interspersed with footage of rallies in support of Prop 10, as well as expert testimony in favor of rent control. If passed, Prop 10 would overturn the 1995 Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act. Signed into law by Republican Governor Pete Wilson, Costa-Hawkins prohibits cities from expanding rent control to single family homes and condos, as well as buildings built after 1995. Repealing the act would allow cities to take immediate action to keep people in their homes and curb corporate greed.
It’s time to Rise Up for Rent Control! Stop Corporate Greed! To help spread the word about California’s Proposition 10, a statewide ballot initiative that would return power to local communities to expand rent control, take a minute to watch the film. Remember to vote Yes on Prop 10 on Nov. 6.
- This is the future they have planned for us…
- Are They Essentially Erasing Most Of The Internet?
- Heads Up: Something big is going down. Just about every commodity is collapsing in price. Things deteriorated so much that all the supply chain metrics have become way less constrained
- Bill Gates: Social Credit Scores Are An “Asset”
- Horrific news from Sodom Island
- China’s Warning ENTIRE Economy Will Collapse In 34 Days
- The Dead Internet theory just got even creepier….
- People Are Going To Go Absolutely Insane When Food Prices Double Or Triple From Current Levels
- CDC is quietly deleting misleading information from their website. The following statement was removed from their website between July 16th and July 22nd
- If you are waiting for recession, inflation down, FED pivot, etc., by the time it happens, markets would have already priced most or all of it in. Right on schedule… Michael Burry says the Big Crash is anytime now!