Defence Secretary William Wallace warned it was ‘inconceivable’ that the UK would not ‘support’ the Scandinavian states, which have been threatened by Moscow.
Finland and its neighbour Sweden have expressed a desire to join the military pact since Putin launched his savage invasion of Ukraine in February.
Reuters reported this week that Helsinki will formally announce its bid to join on May 12 with Sweden following suit days later.
Mr Wallace said: ‘Do I think if Finland didn’t join Nato Britain wouldn’t come along to help? No. Britain will always be here in the Nordics, to be part of you, to help you, to support you.
‘It is inconceivable that Britain would not come to the support of Finland, or Sweden, if it was ever attacked, without any big formal agreement. We are European countries who share the same values, who have deep, long histories.
‘A significant number of the British population seem to be descended from Vikings anyhow, so we have that cultural link.
‘I cannot conceive a time when we wouldn’t come to support Finland and Sweden no matter where they were with the Nato debate or where they are with agreements.’
- A large fire is spreading from a pallet yard behind the US Foods distribution center in Phoenix, Arizona
- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition Now Features an Obese Woman
- War Is Over But They Won’t Tell You
- Agent Fang Fang goes down in China crash
- IT HAS BEGUN. THEY ARE HUNTING THE RICH. FOOD RIOTS ACROSS OUR WORLD HAVE STARTED
- Canada: Kindergarteners Given Homework About Jerking Off
- Canadian Truckers win in court! Now they can sue. Trudeau is still a tyrant.
- UK Gas Up 96%…. JPMorgan Sees Gas Prices Hitting $6.20 By August In US
- Wait, What?
- Russia Says That the West is at War with Russia