by Pamela Williams
WikiLeaks Julian Assange just finished with a press conference, and here is the video. I will also list some comments from Assange that I noticed. It was an excellent event and, of course, a historical one.
Streamed live 2 hours ago
LIVE STREAM: Julian Assange holds News Conference on CIA Leaks, Samsung and Devices Spying on people
1. Microsoft made the statement that we need a cyber Geneva Convention.
2. CNN asked a question: If they are doing this just overseas, isn’t it legal?
Assange felt the question was not very smart, and basically CNN was just trying to protect the CIA…they were defending that actions of the CIA. Assange said the CIA had a history of meddling inside and outside of the US. They meddled in the French election. They hacked Congress to retrieve documents on the CIA torture program.
3. Assange made the statement that there is a power struggle between the NSA and CIA. The CIA has the bigger budget.
4. The CIA HIVE PROJECT started ten years ago, and allows the CIA to infect multiple computers at one time.
5. The CIA has created computer virus software that itself will infect a computer with a virus.
6. Increasing automation of attacks show us that they will infect someone just because they may be a friend of a friend who has information they want. There are 22,000 isps in the US they have infected.
7. More automation instead of individual hacks.
8. CBS asked Assange if he worked for Russia. It irritated him, and he said absolutely not.
9. WIKILEAKS cannot be hacked, as they are experts in cyber warfare. Assange used to be a computer security specialist.
10.In my opinion, the CIA is the shadow government, it is evil, could cause the downfall of society by cyber warfare, and it needs to be reigned in to protect the public.
11. Assange says meaningful oversight is an illusion, but we must try.
12. The CIA cannot control its cyber weapon arsenal. A random CIA officer or anyone could use it against whomever they choose In other words the cyber weapon arsenal of the CIA is a loose cannon
13. The CIA is doing millions of dollars of damages to US industry. They should be telling and warning industry instead of infecting them.
14. The US CONSULATE IN FRANKFORT, GERMANY is a CIA hacker base.
15. The CIA has the ability to hack everything. Even when you turn your tv off, its in a “fake” mode but still listening and recording.
Its so bad that manufacturers are reaching out to Assange. He just said in his presser that Wikileaks will be working with manufacturers, providing them with more technical details from the CIA’s technology to remote hack, so they can do the proper fixes to their products.
WikiLeaks will allow tech companies access to much more detailed information about CIA hacking techniques so they can “develop fixes” before the information is widely published, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said Thursday.
Assange spoke two days after WikiLeaks published thousands of documents it said revealed hacking tools the CIA developed to break into servers, smartphones, computers and TVs. The news conference took place at the Embassy of Ecuador in London, where Assange has been holed up since seeking asylum in 2012.
“The Central Intelligence Agency lost control of its entire cyberweapons arsenal,” Assange said. “This is an historic act of devastating incompetence to have created such an arsenal and stored it all in one place and not secured it.”
Assange said that some tech firms have reached out seeking more details about the CIA tools. He said WikiLeaks hasn’t published the details because it doesn’t want “journalists and people of the world, our sources, being hacked using these weapons.” The best way to avoid that, he said, is to give companies such as Apple, Google and Samsung access first.
“We have decided to work with them, to give them some exclusive access to some of the technical details we have, so that fixes can be pushed out,” Assange said.
by Pamela Williams